Replacing your oil storage tank can be a costly exercise. That is why it is important that it is carried out correctly and the installation is compliant from the start.
The Building Regulations require an assessment to be carried out prior to the installation of any new tank. This assessment identifies both the environmental and fire risks associated with the position of the oil storage tank. As part of our free tank replacement quotation our OFTEC registered technician carries out this assessment.
To view the assessment please see our Regulations Section.
Often a more cost effective way of installing the tank is to relocate it to a position where the tank complies with the regulations, without the need for fire protection. Again our technician can advise you upon suitable locations.
The next stage is to decide on the size of tank you require, this depends on your oil usage and the space available for the oil storage.
Please see our supply of oil storage tanks section for information on the types and sizes of tanks we install.
Now the rest is down to us at Calves Hill Ltd!
With our teams of OFTEC registered technicians we can:
- Pump the contents of your existing oil tank into holding tanks (please don’t let your tank run too low as a good head of oil allows us to test the pipework and bleed through to your appliances)
- Set up a temporary supply (so that you are not inconvenienced during cold weather. If you cook using an oil fired appliance or use your boiler for hot water you can continue to do so until the new tank is installed)
- Remove your existing tank and load the tank onto our licensed waste carriers transport for disposal of the tank under duty of care paperwork to a licensed waste disposal site (we are licensed by the Environment Agency to do this and our license number is TWE/675434/CB). Our vehicles have tail-lifts and cranes to allow us to do this.
- Demolish the existing piers and tank base (if necessary)
- Form new tank base (to the current regulations)
- Position the new tank on the base (tank is often trolleyed into position or craned in using our lorry mounted crane)
- Connect up to the new tank to the pipework (pressure test existing pipe work to ensure its integrity)
- Transfer the fuel from the holding tank/temporary tank into the new tank.
- Bleed through the pipework to the appliances (restart boiler if necessary)
This is just an indication of the tank replacement procedure, some jobs require less work as the existing bases are suitable for the new tank, others require additional fire proofing etc.
As tank replacements are notifiable works, upon completion we inform building control that we have changed the tank as we can self certify the installation.
All of this work is carried out by our OFTEC registered tank technicians, we do not use casual labour! This way we ensure all work is to the highest standards and we can maintain strict control on time scales.
Our teams work tidily and efficiently and are used to working around plants, patios, landscaping and everything else that makes your garden special. We treat it as our own.